Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Until today, i was convinced that Navara brakes aren't as grippy as a car brakes. At least mine.
Today i tested a 2012 D40, still 2.5 diesel engine, automatic. I am going crazy, after i tested the brakes. It brakes even better than my BMW.

So what is wrong with my truck? I press the brake pedal, but the truck keeps rolling and it stops in the end, like a 10 ton truck.
On today tested truck, when braking, i almost hit the steering wheel. Very agressive brake settings.

My brake was always lazy. At least since i own it. Could be some poor quality front brake pads?
In the rear they seem to be still the original ones.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,249 Posts
Different pads and disks make a big difference!
Ive got green stuff pads with drilled and grooved disks (cant remember the make) and if i stamp on the break peddle it throws you forward to the point the seatbelt locks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you see in above picture, the rear shoes look like new and i think they are OEM, from the markes. And i already adjusted them after i bought the truck.
I do believe the front pads may be the problem.
The discs don't look worn out.
The vacuum is ok. With engine off, i pressed the pedal several times to release the vacuum, until the pedal hardens. After that i started the engine. The pedal goes a bit down and back to normal.

Different pads and disks make a big difference!
Ive got green stuff pads with drilled and grooved disks (cant remember the make) and if i stamp on the break peddle it throws you forward to the point the seatbelt locks!
Too bad you can't remember the pads make. I'm sure the proper ones do make a big difference. But i wouldn't test them until i get the right ones. Any detail would be helpful.
The original pads are expensive? On my bmw only with original front pads could get the right braking.

·
Super Moderator
4,249 Posts
As you see in above picture, the rear shoes look like new and i think they are OEM, from the markes. And i already adjusted them after i bought the truck.
I do believe the front pads may be the problem.
The discs don't look worn out.
The vacuum is ok. With engine off, i pressed the pedal several times to release the vacuum, until the pedal hardens. After that i started the engine. The pedal goes a bit down and back to normal.

Too bad you can't remember the pads make. I'm sure the proper ones do make a big difference. But i wouldn't test them until i get the right ones. Any detail would be helpful.
The original pads are expensive? On my bmw only with original front pads could get the right braking.
The pads are made by green stuff! its the disks i cant remember (mintex keeps coming to mind but cant be sure)

·
Super Moderator
4,249 Posts
Yes i think there the ones!
Check your discs too cos any pits or grooves effect braking! I think its these discs i used
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302597523329 but if yours are ok i wouldn't worry as much about them!
Just remember new pads take a few days/weeks to bed in fully if the disc surface isnt perfectly smooth

·
Registered
93 Posts
The original pads are expensive? On my bmw only with original front pads could get the right braking.[/QUOTE]
Bmw pads made by Bendix,you can find them if you search at normal price.i use them at my bmw 520i.change pads at your d40 and look whats up.i think the ones you have overheated sometime and they dont grip properly.the back brakes are perfect.calibrate them and go on😁

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not worried about the bmw, i use original brake pads.
I was asking about Nissan original pads, how expensive are they.
I plan to remove the calipers, sandblast and repaint them, because they are full of rust. With that ocasion, will check the the pads condition. It's possible the past owner overheated them and now the grip is almost non-existent.
I am taking into consideration the green stuff ones.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I calculated wrong.
132$ at stealership
97$ at local store.
Same original pads.

I think i will go for the oem's on local store. The price is pretty good.

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
The other thing often overlooked is the brake fluid, the service schedule says to replace at alternate services, often overlooked.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there any difference between D40 2009 and D40 2011 brake discs dimension? Both trucks with 2.5 engine.
Or maybe the brake force amplifier is different?

·
Super Moderator
4,249 Posts
Is there any difference between D40 2009 and D40 2011 brake discs dimension? Both trucks with 2.5 engine.
Or maybe the brake force amplifier is different?
No difference on the uk spec except the lower spec nav with the 16" wheels did have smaller disks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see. Mine has 17" wheels and the 2011 Nav had the same. And almost no space between brake caliper and wheel.

The brake booster is also the same? Haven't they change the part number after 2009?

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
There were some changes around 2010 to the brakes, I know the load sensing valve was removed and made electronic, not sure if the booster and master cylinder were changed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You mean the valve on the center of rear axle?
A friend told me it could help if i adjust it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts