Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K fine people, i have just taken delivery of a d40 aventura. having had a poke around my first upgrade will be to loose the viscouse fan arrangement, and add a electric fan. this gives a 8-10% increase in performance and fuel all for £136 and a hours work! it should go on next week and i will keep you posted on the result.
the other benafit will be how much quieter it runs and the fact warm up time will be cut in half!!

later :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think some of us would miss the old roar from the current fan set-up, but the performance and economy gains sound pretty interesting.

Is there a link to the info you have discovered that we can check out by any chance?

Cheers,

Ezz.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just go to www.kenlowe.com the one i am putting on was originaly destined for my 500sl but i hate the noise so it is going on the Navara. if you are not sure talk to them they are really helpful.
they even have an imdenity policy to stop it interfering with the warrenty.
when it is on i will post a review.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm, Kenlow site sells the idea real well. Would love to know how you get on with it.

I have got a TUNIT tuneable VCR plug on mudule on my D40 and the benefits on BHP and grunt are obvious, but I get a lot of smoke (black luckily )

Its obviously over fueling , even on the lowest of 9 power settings, and the very helpful guys at TUNIT have sold me a K&N Freeflow filter to try and redress the Air intake balance .

this has made some improvement (also in the go stakes as well) to the smokin' but not much.

Maybe its somthin' I will just have to live with

Cheers

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have to say i am not liking the sound of these tunit boxes. you are right lots of smoke = overfueling. it sound to me they are just increasing the fueling and turning up the boost. not very scientific in my opinion as the only reason they would encourage it to overfuel is to prevent the turbo overheating due to overboost!! and piston crowns melting at the top ot the rev range due to not enough fuel.
please do not take offence, but i have seen lots of diesals including HGV with a superchips map and they do not have that problem. but the superchips map is twice the price!!
i will keep you posted on the fan issue. it should make it a bit more eager and efficiant.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
The Viscus fan only runds when the Engine is Started ( everytime) for about 30 seconds. Then it just free wheels.

Unless its really hot and the fan is running, fuel consuption would be the same as a electric one ?

The Viscus one has a in built clutch so that when the engine does get hotter the fan starts to spin using engine power, I have not heard it run during normal driving, its only started to spin when off road Donutting :lol:

So i cant see what the advantage would be by installing a electric Fan ? unless everyday was 30 Degrees, but then the Alternator would run more to charge up the battery that the fan was using power from :lol:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i get your point but weather the clutch is engaged or not the fax is still spinning and causing a load on the engine. i have changed several units on different mfr's and the results have been good. i will post a full report when the conversion is complete. i average around 30.2 and would expect that to rise to 33-34 after the conversion. plus the car should feel a bit free reving :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Whats a fax ? when its spinning ?

I get about 24 mpg, seems like the downsidew to owning a Auto :(

Yes will be great to hear the reports of teh conversion, as i would definalty like to save some money on the amout of derv im adding 3 times a week. :(

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brian try changing those led shoes of yours.......we have all seen the way you drive :D
i do drive up and down the m/way to and from work so not much stopping and starting 8)

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
all my miles are stop and start local to me, lots of B roads with the Overdive turned Off :lol: cant help the MPG very much, I would say that the fan conversion would benifit long hauls of main roads more than local stop starts though ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
:twisted: I spoke to a m8 2day 1 off his shooting buds have done it to there Pajero and he reckons he noticed the differance straightaway. like you say there must be some load even when cold but im sure the fan would be close to comeing on on the motorway grunts :?: :?:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it is easy to test open the bonnet when you know the fan should be free wheeling, and the rev the engine it will spin faster thus adding extra load!
mine is booked in to have the conversion done on the 23rd of this month. if you like i will take a few pictures and try to make a "how to".

ezza, another idear a "How To" section for the diy people among us??

see ya :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Jayk said:
it is easy to test open the bonnet when you know the fan should be free wheeling, and the rev the engine it will spin faster thus adding extra load!
mine is booked in to have the conversion done on the 23rd of this month. if you like i will take a few pictures and try to make a "how to".

ezza, another idear a "How To" section for the diy people among us??

see ya :D
Jayk, if it's not a rude question, how much is it for the Kenlowe fan and labour, all in?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fan was £139 and my local mechanic will charge me £50 to fit! it might be less but you never know what will go wrong!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
:twisted:it sounds like a lot of navara fans are going to be scrapped. im very interested in more power without putting any strain on the engine.
Have to wait a little while b4 ezzer sorts out the free chips :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts