Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the max wading depth recommendation is for a stock D22 (still water / no snorkel)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Not sure of an official depth, but as the air intake is at the top of the inner wing I would think that at least two foot would be OK
I have been fording this weekend and went through 1.5 foot (fog lights under the water) without the tiniest hiccup.
Have fun and try this website for fords

http://www.wetroads.co.uk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the info Sniffer and thanks for the link.

I went through one at Stanhope on Sunday which was at 0.5m on the marker board with a strongish flow of water which the 'ute' was capable of doing, pushing a nice bow wave and creating quite a wake.

I know that this was like closing the stable door after the horse had bolted but I just wondered what the max would be.

If you like going through fords we have a lot around the North Pennines area / Teessdale etc and some really remote 'natural' ones in Kidland Forest and the Cheviots.

·
Registered
515 Posts
flippin eck your brave id have thought just below door bottoms was safe.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Land / Range Rovers are not even good for 2ft without extending axle and gearbox breathers... :shock: so I'd be surprised if the Navara is good for it.

You need to check out what height the breathers are at before wading. A hot axle with oil in it plus cold water wants to take a sharp intake of air.... and if the breather is under water, that is what it will suck in. :?

Not that familar with Navaras yet so can't point you in the right direction for the pipework but be curious to know the answer..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After searching about online it looks like it is 450mm for the D40.

Haven't been able to find the D22 spec yet.

Looks like I may have been over the max recommended limit.

Dunc where are these breathers you mentioned...you got me worried now :?

·
Registered
45 Posts
when i had my range rover efi the air intake was in a similar position no snorkel . at the land rover enthusiast show that was held at billing aquadome we went on their off road course with the water / bow wave washing over the bonnet. as long as you keep the wave steady no probs and it never came in through the doors . good fun though :wink:

·
Registered
203 Posts
after talking to a Nissan mechanic yesterday, the only problem you'll get with going through deep water is the air intake, which I believe is in one of the wheel arches?

The rest of the engine is sealed and therefore water won't get in it, and the bonnet is also sealed so water can't get in there, so basically, the Navara can handle plenty of water, as long as the electrics and air intakes don't get wet...

Or so he says!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Matty..good to hear.

I have looked on some Ausie and New Zealand based offroad sites and the info on there suggests the D22 is ok over max recommended limit i.e. no problem with the breathers.

'teamdragula' I did keep the wave steady, bow wave wasn't up to the bonnet and yes it was bloody good fun.

:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the breather for the front axle and gearbox come out under the bonnet, they look like brake pipes but they just stop. i think from memory one is on the righthand side as you look in the engine bay behind the air box? i'll have a look later. so unless you flood the engine bay your ok.

The air intake is at the top of the front wing

Official nissan figures for D22 navara:-
Max wading depth 450mm
Max approach angle 31 degrees
Max departure angle 31 degrees
Max ramp over angle 25 degrees
Max lateral inclination 48 degrees
Max Climbable gradient 39 degrees

I know the safe wading depth is more than that as i've had water higher than the bottom of the doors with no probs and with no water getting into transmission. water did't come in the doors either, but i didn't hang around waiting for it to i suppose just kept going steadily.
So that said i suppose all those figures have a bit of flexability....?

Hope this helps
Craig.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Craig

That's just the sort of info I wanted.

Cheers

·
Registered
118 Posts
Matty said:
after talking to a Nissan mechanic yesterday, the only problem you'll get with going through deep water is the air intake, which I believe is in one of the wheel arches?

The rest of the engine is sealed and therefore water won't get in it, and the bonnet is also sealed so water can't get in there, so basically, the Navara can handle plenty of water, as long as the electrics and air intakes don't get wet...

Or so he says!
Having a bonnet sealed doesn`t really help when wading does it!!

I think there will be plenty of water getting into engine bay from underside.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Just remeber that any accesories you may have will reduce some of these figures,

Approach/departure angle are reduced by A/bull bars and tow bars,
the bottom of my A-bar is crunched an I'm always draging my towbar around!

Im not sure if side steps reduce 'ramp over angle' but Ive bent both mine on rocky stuff!

I must have been pushing 39 degrees climinge a hill yesterday, I was craping an leaning as far forward as posible! :D I sure wouldent want to push the incline tho! :shock:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Gents,
Just been under my D40 to try and provide some more information....

• First of all, 450mm is exactly to the bottom of the doors. :D
    The fuel tank has a breather which goes into the chassis rail, on the inside, behind the N/S/R wheel.
    The rear axle only appears to have a simple sleeve type breather on top of the axle tube, O/S. I'd say that is potentially just under 450mm from the ground.
    The front axle breather does indeed go up inside the N/S wing and stops beside the ABS valve block.. +/-850mm off the ground. (I guess thats to cope with the bow wave).
    The gearbox's seem to go up behind the engine - couldn't see exactly where but okay.
    There is no sealing up the sides of the bonnet, the front hasa lightweight one, I guess to stop mucky spray but not much else :) As Jamie points out, sealing a bonnet is not much use..
    There is no drain holes on the bottom of the bellhousing and I didn't see any on the front of the engine either

Observations
If you really give it some, the bow wave will happily come up the top of the bonnet and straight into the scuttle area - probably happily pour all over your feet.
The D40 seems to have a bit of a reputation for rear half shaft bearings and I doubt you'd want to add water to the oil via the breather... Bear in mind, there is no little light to tell you that the oil is emulsified - the first you'd know is that old "train track" sound... :shock:

Hope it helps :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Dunc

Good info thanks.
I think I will check out the rear axle this weekend.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Nice :D :D :D :D :D

I aint that brave, but I have had the water over the lights in the dark, how scary is that, specially as there was a 90 degree turn in the Ford to the exit :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts