Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Today I tried a water crossing and it went horribly wrong. I was stuck in 800mm salt water and water poured into the cabin filling up to the pedals.
After getting pulled out it took 3 hours to start the car.
it would not crank over
The 4wd error code comes up
It's stuck in 4wd
The abs, diff lock, traction control, warning and engine lights are on
And the whole dash cluster itself turns off and on intermittently.
Now it doesn't start at all

I know it's a long shot but is there any hope in fixing it or is it a right off.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
sorry to say I suspect you may be correct the official wading depth is 600mm and theres a chance you have pulled water into the engine which will be the major issue . It may have been ok if dealt with when it happened trying to start it will have caused more problems until it dried out

·
Administrator
12,337 Posts
As above, if you have sucked water into the engine you will have seriously damaged the engine.

For the electrics it should be recoverable by washing all the affected components with water and replacing all the fluids that might have got contaminated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The air filter was not wet and I check the dipstick and it seems to be clean of water in the engine.
I will take your advise and drop all the fluids.

·
Administrator
12,337 Posts
The worry being that one or more ECU's have got soaked in saltwater.

It does sound like the brake switches and throttle potentiometer have been drowned, but they are relatively easily replaced.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The air filter was not wet and I check the dipstick and it seems to be clean of water in the engine.
I will take your advise and drop all the fluids.
The dipstick is not a good indicator of water in the engine! I would make sure you can get it running before wasting effort and expense on it . Sounds like what you pay insurance for!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm sure you've already found it, but if you haven't, there's a large electrical connector toward the rear of the driver's side wheel arch:

It's an absolutely stupid place to put it, I think that taking this apart and drying it out may well start to solve some of your electrical issues.
There's a Youtube video by some Australian guy who had a lot of problems caused by water in this connector.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jeremy
few thoughts here

Firstly u will have to read all your codes with a decent unit
I use a snap on solus
Only higher end units will read all the systems like abs, transmission aircon etc.
Clear all codes and see what comes back on retest.
No need to have engine running.

Auto trans has ecu inside the box so should be ok, but switches for 4WD are external
I would pull the connectors off and clean these, other threads cover this.

Engine ecu is high up in engine bay behind the window wash container.
Should be ok.

Where r u located ?
Some mechanics will scan and clear cars for $50 to $80 at you house.
Glass half full I reckon you can resurrect your car with minimal rectification
Once you have so,I’d codes to deal with

PM me if you want my mobile
My career is in aircraft electronics and I fix all my own car stuff

Regards
OZ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts