Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into fitting some outdoor lights to the front of the house!
I've bought 4 x up/down wall lights and im looking for a free standing hi-lo pir sensor to operate them!
Basically each unit has 2x 60w gu10 bulbs so that's 480w in total which is a bit bright to leave on all night!
So im looking for a single pir unit that comes on dimmed (for aesthetics) at 25-35% when it gets dark, then as someone approaches they go up to full brightness!
I know they do/did exist, because i had one in my old house operating 2x 150w flood lights! but i can seam to find them anywhere now!
I found this which looks like itll do what im looking for, but its been out of stock for some time, and no one else has them either

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Why not wire everything to have one lamp inside each fitting on all the time, and the second switched by the PIR. Then have the entire circuit switched by a light sensor, allowing automatic night only operation. Wire it all yourself, nice and straight forward little job with impressive result.

You could build a dimming circuit for LEDs, but it's a bit of a drama. Hopefully you find the retail version you speak of. I had a quick look but nothing jumping out. Although, it does bring a memory that they exist.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
HERE is exactly the feature you want but in a solo unit. You could take it apart and switch mains relays off it, but again, a bit of a drama.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys but since ive already had one of these (albeit about 10 years ago) I was hopeing for a "off the shelf" unit I didn't need to mess with!

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Possibly! But 1 not sure if it would be implementable outdoors and 2 I havent got the foggiest what any of those switches are for lol.
Will that control 240v lights?
What's the 1-10v bit about?I

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
Possibly! But 1 not sure if it would be implementable outdoors and 2 I havent got the foggiest what any of those switches are for lol.
Will that control 240v lights?
What's the 1-10v bit about?I
That isn't an outdoor one, you are right.

Won't you will be using dimmable LED GU10's?

Personally I would take the Internet of Things approach. The top end solution would be a Philips hue hub, light bulbs and PIR. You could then set it up in the software to exactly what you want.

A cheaper option is to use a Sonoff pir and bulbs and run it through Alexa using Alexa routines (and maybe IFTTT) to trigger dimming and brightening depending on the time of dusk and the activation of the PIR.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would use leds but ive not had much success with dimming leds with them flickering whilst dimmed and premature failure!
Never thought along the programmable route! Might be worth looking into

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
I think you may have bought cheap LEDs!

The Alexa route (assuming you have it) will be pretty straightforward. I have many of my house lights coming on at dusk and used routines to dim the lights or brighten the lights.

For example, you could have it so the lights go on bright at dusk for an hour, then dim to 50% until 11pm, then dim to 30% until dawn. The PIR could then send it to 100% for a period, say 5 mins, maybe after 11pm the PIR would keep the lights on for longer.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're a Google nest house but you can still connect smart switches for it and I think you can pre-program them
How would the pir connect up? Is there a wireless version?

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
Plenty of wifi PIRs out there. I assume that Google home will work with wifi bulbs/switches and wifi PIRs.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plenty of wifi PIRs out there. I assume that Google home will work with wifi bulbs/switches and wifi PIRs.
Yea it does weve got a few remote switches I just didn't know you could get wireless pir switches
Definatly going to have a look down this route as it looks like the old style sensor that i used to have arent made anymore!

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
A good project!

Have you come across IFTTT? It basically lets you trigger one or more actions from specific events, so you can get things to trigger at dusk or if it is raining etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A good project!

Have you come across IFTTT? It basically lets you trigger one or more actions from specific events, so you can get things to trigger at dusk or if it is raining etc.
No ive never heard of it.
Ill have to do a bit of googling when i get 10 mins lol

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts