Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been towing my BJT trailer (my son drive in DriftCup) for more than 18 months now without problems .... until recently that is :frown2:

History .... when I first collected the trailer, everything worked fine and has done ever since - the odd blown bulb on the trailer (as usual). I had the trailer serviced in March and all was good .... until a couple of weeks ago.

Hooked up the trailer to go to Three Sisters as per usual, however, we always do a lights test before driving off - nothing on the trailer worked !!!!! We checked the plug connection (WD40 is magic) having disconnected everything from the Navara. We then reconnected and had the same result.

We then tried various combinations of car on/off etc until we turned off the auto lights. Bingo we had indicators and brake lights on the trailer. I turned the lights back on and we lost everything on the trailer.

We then disconnected everything (even locking and unlocking the car) and manged to get indicators and brake lights working again .... good job we were driving in daylight.

Ever since that day, when I press the brake pedal (????) there is a click from under the dashboard somewhere - sounds like a solenoid/relay - and I still have the problem with the trailer lights.

I've attached the trailer to my son's car - all fine. I'm yet to attach another trailer to my car.

I took the car to the local Nissan dealer and through a very basic diagnostic, they said all was good to the 7-pin plug.

This is really weird so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
I have been towing my BJT trailer (my son drive in DriftCup) for more than 18 months now without problems .... until recently that is :frown2:

History .... when I first collected the trailer, everything worked fine and has done ever since - the odd blown bulb on the trailer (as usual). I had the trailer serviced in March and all was good .... until a couple of weeks ago.

Hooked up the trailer to go to Three Sisters as per usual, however, we always do a lights test before driving off - nothing on the trailer worked !!!!! We checked the plug connection (WD40 is magic) having disconnected everything from the Navara. We then reconnected and had the same result.

We then tried various combinations of car on/off etc until we turned off the auto lights. Bingo we had indicators and brake lights on the trailer. I turned the lights back on and we lost everything on the trailer.

We then disconnected everything (even locking and unlocking the car) and manged to get indicators and brake lights working again .... good job we were driving in daylight.

Ever since that day, when I press the brake pedal (????) there is a click from under the dashboard somewhere - sounds like a solenoid/relay - and I still have the problem with the trailer lights.

I've attached the trailer to my son's car - all fine. I'm yet to attach another trailer to my car.

I took the car to the local Nissan dealer and through a very basic diagnostic, they said all was good to the 7-pin plug.

I have moved your post as it was in the introductory section.
Most likely thing is a poor earth, I would check that it is connected properly on the truck.

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts

Re the clicking noise on brake pedal application - my NP300 does this, it's the gear shift interlock disarming (the interlock that stops you moving out of P unless you're braking).

Re the rest of your issues - in general, 90% of the time when you're trying to work out if the trailer or car is at fault, it's the trailer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts