Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got my Nav basically because we intend to get a caravan soon (and daddy likes toys), We have 3 girls and it's probably the cheaper way of taking them on holiday
I need to get a towbar fitted to the truck so I'm happy in the knowledge it's done very little work in its life and it's only got 48k miles on it
What confuses me is what I can tow it all just baffles me and they more i read the more confusing it becomes
I know the Nav can pull anything I'd need it's just if I'm able to pull it license wise, Can someone look at photo for me and let me know in plane turms as to what I can and can't do
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Category B: if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997, and you did, you can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats, and with a trailer up to 750kg. You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM (maximum allowed mass) of the vehicle and trailer isn't more than 3,500kg together. B1 is about quad bikes I think.

In a nutshell, let's say your truck + goods + family will be say, 2.5t all up, that means you can tow something up to 1t as well (i.e. 3.5t total). That would be a small and light caravan only. Actually a good reason to tow with a much lighter car than a Nav.

You need to take a test to get C/C1/C1E which people who passed before 1997 have automatically. I forget the precise details of those, but you can then usually go to 7.5t all up, which is any of: a big motorhome/truck+big caravan/truck+5th wheeler.

·
Super Moderator
921 Posts
Whats the MAM of a Nav?

You can tow up to 750kg on any license with a car up to 3.5t

If the trailer is more than 750kg then the towcar must be under 2.75t as you cannot have a gross train weight of more than 3.5t

My Pathy is 2.8t mam so i can only tow a 750kg trailer ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
B+E licence taken now will let you drive a combined maximum weight of 7000kg (3500 vehicle and 3500 trailer) (so combination of vehicle, trailer and load) slightly different to a pre 1997 licence and B+E taken prior to 2013 they have no weight limit on the trailer (other than plated weights). No need to do a full lorry licence (class C/C1/C+E) unless you want to go heavier than that. (again still can't exceed plated weights)

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Yes, B+E may be right for today's extra test. I have C1 & C1E code on my pre 97 license, but also a have a 107 code which limits me to 7.5t I believe.

I forgot to mention that for heavy 5th wheeler,s it is common to "up plate" the tow vehicle. For example mine says max Train Weight of 6.5t on its plate and max gross weight (Truck) of 3470kg

Nevertheless, I think the main point is that with OP's current license and Nav (which is going to weigh 2.5t with 5 people and luggage), it's going to be a small-ish caravan.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In plain and simple terms, a 750kg trailer is all you can tow.

i still don't know if thats right as the gloss weight of the nav (don't no number but say) 3100kg you could only tow 400kg i could be way off tho lol

Maximum authorised mass ( MAM ) means the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it's being used on the road. This is also known as gross vehicle weight ( GVW ) or permissible maximum weight.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
My V6 (before replating) had 3240kg as MAM on the Nissan plate. And max train weight of 6240kg
So allowing 2500kg for a loaded up Nav, you get a trailer of 740kg in this example.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The gov website says:

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.

...So the first statement seems to me to say your truck can be up to 3.5t AND you can tow 750kg.

...The second statement reads to me to say "if your trailer is 1t, that's ok, but it reduces the MAM of your truck by 250kg" (the amount over 750kg), or say if your trailer was 2.5t, then 2500kg minus the 750kg allowance means your truck MAM is then only 1750kg.. It looks like if your trailer is over 750kg, they start maxxing you to 3500kg overall, and not 3500+750kg. Seems illogical.

The problem is the language is simply not clear and there are no illustrative examples. Typical government!

·
Super Moderator
921 Posts
Ok in simple terms.

Anyone with a towcar up to 3.5t mam can tow up to 750kg .

To tow trailers over 750kg you cant exceed a 3.5t gross train weight (car + tralier)

It is a lttle illogical but does mean that most people still have the ability to tow a small trailer for tip runs,camping etc.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
O yeah just read on the gov site shouldn't of opened my mouth lol
Not at all! It's an interesting question when you delve into it, and at least it made many of us check the gov website !

I knew what the limits were for my pre-97 licence, but I now know how unfair the newer licences are!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So basically I'd have to take a trailer test to be able to pull a decent 4/5 birth caravan ?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
So basically I'd have to take a trailer test to be able to pull a decent 4/5 birth caravan ��
Yes. Although you may be ok with a lighter tow car! I see lots of post-97 drivers towing large-ish caravans with 'family' cars and I can't believe they have all needed to do B+E test...

It may also explain the huge growth in small motorhomes (under 3.5t!).

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
Acknowledging this thread is all about licensing, be wary of swallowing the "my Navara can tow 3500kg" marketing.

This is only true if you tow a 3500kg helium balloon that doesn't touch the ground. I presume you've done your research but as far as Nissan are concerned, your limiting factors on towing a big caravan are going to be the ball or nose weight it applies to your hitch, the weight you carry in your Navara, and how that is distributed.

If you're looking to hitch up even a modest four berth van, the nose weight is likely to be high enough that you'll need to knock back the permissible GVM (gross vehicle mass, what we call your MAM I believe) quite significantly. How much is in the owners manual.

In Oz, we don't face the same licensing rules but these manufacturer's engineering limitations are legally binding (and of interest to insurers in the event of a claim). I presume in the EU that your regulators are equally pedantic.

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
So basically I'd have to take a trailer test to be able to pull a decent 4/5 birth caravan ?
Absolutely correct, you cannot tow a decent sized caravan without a trailer test. Regardless of whether you drive a Mondeo or à Navara.

Incidentally you can tow a little caravan behind some cars depending on the car and caravan weights, but never a 4/5 berth as they are too heavy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts