2,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
I'm tempted by these now.
They rate pretty well on handling, and noise, it's just the fuel that lets them down, which doesn't bother me too much. I think they'll give the look I'm after.
Will they fit without any modification to my truck? Any other thoughts/opinions on this tyre?

Cheers

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Have you thought about spacers? They help fill out the arches and give the truck a bit more of a chunky look without spending a big chunk of cash on new rubber.

Regarding grip, not many comparisons, but I found this one. http://www.leisurewheels.co.za/roadtests-vehicle-guide/tyre-test-highway-terrain-vs-all-terrain-vs-mud-terrain/

The interesting factor to me was the stopping distance in the wet, the AT at 80 kph was a full 6 metres worse than the road tyre.
Scaling that up to motorway speeds would indicate that the AT would take something like 3 more car lengths to stop than the road tyre. Little difference in the dry though.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Have you thought about spacers? They help fill out the arches and give the truck a bit more of a chunky look without spending a big chunk of cash on new rubber.
Nope. not thought about anything really. Basically, I'm looking for a chunkier look without spending too much, and without having too much of an impact on my daily ride.
I'm a complete novice in this area.... tell me more! :thumbleft:

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
Wheel & Tyres NP300

Nope. not thought about anything really. Basically, I'm looking for a chunkier look without spending too much, and without having too much of an impact on my daily ride.

I'm a complete novice in this area.... tell me more! :thumbleft:

Wheel spacers fit between the hub and the wheel and push the outside face of the wheel and tyre outwards. They are primarily useful for fitting wider tyres without fouling, but can be used as a cheap way to emulate wider wheels or higher offset (which does a lot for how the vehicle looks).

Here's a set that fit the D40 if you're not sure what they look like... no idea if these are good, cheap, expensive, whatever:
https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/4x4-accessories/wheel-spacers

They won't have any effect on your ride quality and may actually enhance stability (through a wider track), but their legality is... not universal.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
not a fan of spacers dont like the load they put on either the studs or wheel bearings, it seems you are very limited in size unless you want a lift as well just checked the 65 profile will probably be a little on the large side as they are almost 2 inches higher than the standard size, continental make a AT version of the cross contact that looks quite chunky in the same size as fitted now but jcurrently no stock in camskill but others may have them but wet grips a bit poor i would bite the bullet fit a body lift and go for the 65s or better still 70s

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m65b0s481p129247/Continental_Tyres_SUV_4x4_Continental_ContiCrossContact_AT_Continental_Conti_Cross_Contact_AT_-_255_60_R18_112T_XL_%28%23%29_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_E_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_73dB

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
not a fan of spacers dont like the load they put on either the studs or wheel bearings, it seems you are very limited in size unless you want a lift as well just checked the 65 profile will probably be a little on the large side as they are almost 2 inches higher than the standard size, continental make a AT version of the cross contact that looks quite chunky in the same size as fitted now but jcurrently no stock in camskill but others may have them but wet grips a bit poor i would bite the bullet fit a body lift and go for the 65s or better still 70s

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m65b0s481p129247/Continental_Tyres_SUV_4x4_Continental_ContiCrossContact_AT_Continental_Conti_Cross_Contact_AT_-_255_60_R18_112T_XL_%28%23%29_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_E_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_73dB
The problem with a lift is the effect it has on handling, especially as it's not something I really as I do 90% of my miles on tarmac. The chunkier tyres aren't 'needed', just wanted. But I thought I'd be able to do the tyres without compromising on handling too much. It looks as though it's not going to be possible within my criteria.

The Coopers looked like a good compromise, but if 275/65's won't fit, then they're out too.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I drove into the city today for the first time in a while, in the rain. With my BFG KO2s on, accelerating from red lights across the white lines and bike boxes gave me wheel spin every time. Roundabouts were similarly adventurous. Never enough for the stability control to intervene but enough to be a bit concerning.
That's why I love my ats and they still nearly double the mileage of road tyres. You can drift like a boss so easily.
Doup ! SHhhhhh did I say that out loud.

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
Wheel & Tyres NP300

The problem with a lift is the effect it has on handling, especially as it's not something I really as I do 90% of my miles on tarmac. The chunkier tyres aren't 'needed', just wanted. But I thought I'd be able to do the tyres without compromising on handling too much. It looks as though it's not going to be possible within my criteria.

The Coopers looked like a good compromise, but if 275/65's won't fit, then they're out too.

Ok, lets step back and review. For some reason I'd forgotten we were talking NP300.

You have 255/60-18 tyres and you want them to look tougher. You really have two options: wider tyres, more aggressive tread, or both.

Before we start, a quick note that calculating diameter from the sidewall specs is a bit approximate. The numbers assume the tyre is fitted to its optimum rim width (narrower will increase diameter and reduce sidewall height, and wider will reduce diameter and also reduce sidewall height), and also discount tread depth. Some AT and MT tyres offer tread so deep they actually increase the overall diameter - BFG used to be good about quoting actual diameter on their website, but seem to have slipped lately.

Anyway point is, differences in the magnitude of 1% or 2% are not significant.

So we know a 255/60-18 is nominally 10" wide and 30" diameter. We also know all NP300s can fit 16", 17" or 18" wheels with P45 offset. Mine has 16" wheels with 255/70-16, which are nominally 10" wide and 30.1" diameter. Same size.

But, we also know I can fit 265/70-16 without any issues at all. That's half an inch taller and half an inch wider. This is a very common size in 16". The equivalent size in 18" is 265/60-18, which is comparatively less common but still has lots of choices. You can go to 275/55-18 and keep the same diameter, but this is a really rare size. If you want 275 or wider, you should consider reducing to 16" or 17" wheels so that you have more choices in size.

That's size taken care of. You can PROBABLY go wider still, but if budget is an issue you don't want to be experimenting with this. So let's focus on 265/60-18.

Now you want an aggressive look. To be honest, tread pattern is only about 50% of a tyre's wet performance. The other 50% is compound. European tyres (Pirelli, Continental, Michelin) often use softer (grippier) compounds than American tyres (BFG, Cooper, General, Mickey T), because the Americans are concerned about rocks shearing off tread blocks. Japanese and Korean brands are somewhere between the two. As a general rule, there are lots of exceptions. So for an aggressive AT look with minimal on road compromise, I'd limit my search to Euro brand tyres (even though they charge a premium).

As it happens, there is a good value tyre is 265/60-18 in the Pirelli Scorpion ATR. This offers a mild AT pattern, not too much tread depth, and white sidewall lettering if you wish:

The Continental CrossContact LX also comes in this size and has a white lettering option. It's a great tyre but may lack some of the visual aggression you're after:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2052/2172889867_68382cf907.jpg

Then there are a range of very good HT options out there that retain some off-road looks. Consider the Toyo Open Country A32 or General Grabber HTS. Being dedicated HT tyres, the compound is optimised for road use regardless of manufacturer and you can disregard my "go Euro" tip.

Or, you can bite the bullet and try a set of full-on AT tyres. The Japanese and Korean brands offer plenty of highway-biased AT tyres which are still perfectly credible off road. The BFGs I use are a very aggressive AT design definitely leaning towards off-road use, so their performance will not be as good as something like the Dueler D697 or Kumho KL61.

Everything I've mentioned comes in 265/60-18.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Right, when the bank balance allows, I've going to go for Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 265/60 R18 110T M+S. It'll mean taking a hit on both wet weather handling, and fuel consumption, but I can cope with that, at least for one set of tyres.
Found them for £525 for a set of 4.

Can any one (@JDO) confirm they will git my NP300. Judging by your last comment, they will.

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
Right, when the bank balance allows, I've going to go for Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 265/60 R18 110T M+S. It'll mean taking a hit on both wet weather handling, and fuel consumption, but I can cope with that, at least for one set of tyres.

Found them for £525 for a set of 4.

Can any one (@JDO) confirm they will git my NP300. Judging by your last comment, they will.

Confirm 100%? No, because your fitter may not like that Cooper recommend a 7.5" minimum rim width. They will definitely fit your rims, however - this is a common fitment on various Jeeps and F150s which have 18x7 rims.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Ok, I'll speak to my fitter before I order them! Thanks!

:thumbleft:

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse brevity and mistakes.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts