Nissan-Navara.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to top up my oil a bit which oil should I use? Nissan dealer recommends Nissan 10/30 semi synthetic or should I use some other make maybe full synthetic.

Cheers

Jay.

·
Registered
175 Posts
hmmm, Westway nissan said they were using 5W/30 in the Navara they supplied, is it in the manual, I couldn't find it?

if you match the numbers, you can use any brand, I've used GTD Magnatec in the wife's ML270 for 2 years and it seems great, even survived a dose of petrol .....don't ask ! :roll:

·
Registered
175 Posts
anyone been advised different oil viscosity as yet?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
From Nissan:

Engine Oil Capacity

Oil drain and refill with filter change 7.6 litres
Oil drain and refill without filter change 7.1 litres
Dry engine (engine been rebuilt) 7.9 litres

Engine Oil Grade

API CF-4 (NEVER USE API CG-4)
ACEA B1, B3, B4, B5

Viscosity

SAE 5W-30 is Preferable
If 5W-30 is not available, select viscosity based on anticipated outside temperature range.

5W30 is good from colder than -30 to higher than +40 degree C
10W30 / 10W40 / 10W50 is good from -20 to higher than +40 degree C
15W40 / 15W50 is good from -15 to higher than +40 degree C
20W40 / 20W50 is good from -10 to higher than +40 degree C

What brand of oil you use is your choice.

Bob

·
Registered
222 Posts
just had first service, Nissan dealer put 10W 40 semi-synthetic in. Not sure what was in before, but it's a tad more rattly when you start it from cold now. :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm going to do an oil change at the weekend and I've bought Castrol Gtd magnatec 10w40.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Unless you're driving in a very hot country 5W30 would be better for the Navara in the UK and flow through the oil galleries a lot easier when cold.

Bob

·
Registered
222 Posts
bobsabuilder said:
Unless you're driving in a very hot country 5W30 would be better for the Navara in the UK and flow through the oil galleries a lot easier when cold.

Bob
Maybe why mine sounds like a bag of nails in the morning then :roll:

·
Registered
257 Posts
To late Bob, I've already bought it. :lol:

I checked the manual and 10w40 is fine from -20c to +40c.

The oil being slightly thicker may quieten the engine slightly.

With global warming I doubt we'll get below -10c anymore.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The thicker oil will be beneficial when the engine is hotter, but with a cold engine you need the oil to flow around the engine as quickly and efficiently as possible. I see your point about thicker oil in a cold engine (using it to try to fill the higher clearances you get with a cold engine), but speaking as an ex senior mechanic, unless you're driving a high performance turbo charged car such as a Subaru Impreza (which needs the oil to be thicker/more stable at very high temps - I used fully synthetic 10W50) you are far better off with a 5WXX grade oil in a turbo diesel engine such as the Navara, hence why it is "preferable".

There is nothhing wrong with 10W40 oil though and it is perfectly acceptable to use in the Nav'.

Bob

G

·
thanks for your expert advice bob....its re-assuring having someone who knows what they are talking about on the forum...

(mechanic and now a builder?)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
scarey said:
(mechanic and now a builder?)

:lol: Yeah plus a few others between them!

I'm lucky that I'm pretty good at just about everything I've tried and at the moment I'm doing very well as a self employed builder. But its only until my wife and I are able to emigrate to Austria 8)

Bob

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Sorry to go on about oil again, but as 90+% of engine wear happens when the engine is cold, it is important that you get the oil flowing around your engine as quickly as possible, hence my preference for the slightly thinner 5W grade oil.

Bob

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bob, is that not the whole idea of Castrol Magnatec that the oil stays on the components helping to prevent wear.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Sorry, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the oil you have chosen, mine is a general comment about oil grades. To start being specific to individual brands would end up complicating matters.

When I had my modified Impreza I used Silkolene Pro S 10W50 which is a fully synthetic oil that was ideal for my vehicle for every day driving and for the occassional track days I used to take part in.

On scoobynet (subaru Forum) I started a thread that the oil being used by a Subaru main dealer (Monty's of Sheffield) was the wrong grade of oil - 0W30. Eventually after much discussion with International Motors (Subaru UK) and the dealers by other forum users and customers it was proved I was correct and that it was indeed the wrong grade of oil. The dealer admitted liability and changed its supply of oil and offered free oil changes to customers that the garage had serviced cars using the wrong grade of oil.

In your case though, the oil you are using falls withing the manufacturers recommended range of oil grades so no problems.

I've never felt the need for additives such as Slick 50 in oil, but it doesn't hurt. However I wouldn't have it in a new engine as a certain amount of wear needs to happen for all the components to "bed in".

I think I've said all I need to, and probably too much about oil. :wink:

Bob

Bob

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bob, thanks for your very informative input.

Oil as you say can be a very emotive topic. I too have read various posts on oil in other forums and everyone has a personal opinion about what is best.

There is some proof that different manufacturers oils vary a bit in make up even with the same specification, with some oils breaking down(loosing the protective qualities) sooner that others.

My opinion for what it's worth is that you should stick to the recommended lubricant range that the manufacturer specifies and purchase a well known make. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
bobsabuilder said:
From Nissan:

Engine Oil Capacity

Oil drain and refill with filter change 7.6 litres
Oil drain and refill without filter change 7.1 litres
Dry engine (engine been rebuilt) 7.9 litres

Engine Oil Grade

API CF-4 (NEVER USE API CG-4)
ACEA B1, B3, B4, B5

Viscosity

SAE 5W-30 is Preferable
If 5W-30 is not available, select viscosity based on anticipated outside temperature range.

5W30 is good from colder than -30 to higher than +40 degree C
10W30 / 10W40 / 10W50 is good from -20 to higher than +40 degree C
15W40 / 15W50 is good from -15 to higher than +40 degree C
20W40 / 20W50 is good from -10 to higher than +40 degree C

What brand of oil you use is your choice.

Bob
As a point of interest, over here there’s been a lot of controversy about small garages using oils which are not API – ACEA approved. Obviously they’re using cheap, sub-standard, oils, but certain manufacturers have negated the warranty on vehicles serviced with these oils when the engine has gone belly-up.

Why is API CG-4 a no-no?

I’m a long way off my first oil change, so I want to make sure the dealership uses the oil which I want.

Peter

·
Registered
976 Posts
newby said:
Why is API CG-4 a no-no?

I’m a long way off my first oil change, so I want to make sure the dealership uses the oil which I want.

Peter
someone mention that it dosn't have certain lube for the top end.

i think its more to do with soot handling. if you have a look at the grades the later oils upto CG are for "clean burning" deisels. its well known to use the older oils for for old or worn enignes as they can handle the soot. the big difference with CI-4 is being able to handle the extra soot the high EGR vechiles produce. CI spec has been changed a few times. i think CI-4+ is the latest. not sure whats been added.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i know mines a proper navara D22.i was told by 3 nissan dealers not to use synthetic.i use 10/40 castrol and a dose of molyslip all cold starts are as quiet as the grave yard no bones rattling.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.