Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POWER ! ! the 2.7 is gutless. the 3.2 is better but still doesn't come close to the new motors. BTW.....you can still get the D22 with the 2.7. last time i looked they still made it as an high altitude vers.

also euro's love 2.5 litre diesels which is probably why they focused on them rather than the 3 litre.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
jace said:
why not improve what you had already ol 2.7tdi
i'm not sure but i think the td27 is a push rod engine. fairly hard to convert that to dual cam, make it fit a different vechile and handle a huge increase in power. it would be easier to make a new motor. also the new emmision requirements would proberly rule them out as well.

they are a good strong motor but they have had their day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
jace said:
not into petrol motors selling my cooper s (proper one not bmw) to help fund navara
yer i wish i could have got a dielse one but for work reason i decide not to as dielse cost so much and boss was workin petrol into my sallary so it work out good

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jace said:
oh yes its a good ol tractor engine lol i did think emissions would have factor i reckon the 2.5s must need reving hard to get best outve them could this be a factor in there downfal my transit is 2.5 non turbo copes really well but theres no hurryin her! quite happy pulling from low speeds in 4th gear plenty torque which seems to be missing in modern tdi fly by wire diesels
i suspect the biggest difference you will find is the gearing. we had on older 2.3 atmo nissan diesel and a ford atmo 2.5, both gutless as hell.
my toyata 2.8 atmo actually does very similar speeds to the navarra 3litre turbo, but thats only because its so low geared. its does 3200rpm at 100km/h and typically diesel maxs out at 4000rpm.

however put a couple ton on the vechiles you soon notice the difference. even with a measly ton on it, the 2.5 would be doing 40km/h up the hill, the 3litre turbo with a ton on it barly goes under 80km/h.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jace said:
thats my thinkin with the bigger engine it should be more flexible and torquey so wont need to be thrashed to death think the 2.5s are getting given death as there being marketed as cars an people want to do 100mph everywhere extra 500cc could make all difference so far theres one on autotrader 2003 model 33k on clock £8995 loads 2.5s
thats exactly right. people drive how they want, not according to whats good for the car. (like certain people here cruising 100+ mph in a 2.5 diesel). the small low powered deisels just get thrashed as they are running at 100% all the time. (ok i've thrashed my fair share of work vechiles...untill i had to buy my own ;) )

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The thrashing theory is not quite right, there are accounts from owners who have had their cars from new, or who are the second owners of cherished, well serviced and unabused privately owned cars, that without warning have thrown rods.
Similarly these latent disaters do not discriminate between good cars, and those that have been abused.
There are now simply too many similar incidents of Navaras self destructing in circumstances of normal driving behaviour, to say that previously careful owners are responsible for thrashing them.
These recorded catastrophes are squarely down to defective design and/or material flaws!
Chris Vince

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chris vince said:
The thrashing theory is not quite right, there are accounts from owners who have had their cars from new, or who are the second owners of cherished, well serviced and unabused privately owned cars, that without warning have thrown rods.
Similarly these latent disaters do not discriminate between good cars, and those that have been abused.
There are now simply too many similar incidents of Navaras self destructing in circumstances of normal driving behaviour, to say that previously careful owners are responsible for thrashing them.
These recorded catastrophes are squarely down to defective design and/or material flaws!
Chris Vince
i think you ave taking the comments out of context here. older small gutless diesels do get thrashed just to maintain normall road speed and they do die because of it.

new ones are no different. if you thrash them they will die. thats one of the problems with gathering info, very few people are willing to mention their driving style and service history. btw i'm not just talking about d22 2.5TD motors, but all motors in general.

·
Registered
41 Posts
your right tweak`e,, The smaller the motor it gets thrashed,, Just like my 2.4l petrol in my navara,, and my mates 6cyc tubro diesle in his crusier,, i have to ive mine hell to keep up to normal road speed with him,, lol and he is just crusiing
( this is when we are out woodcuttin cummin back loaded)

So yer i can tell witch motor will last longer

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You may be able to thrash them in your part of the world, over here since the government let police forces and councils keep some of the fines we now have speed cameras, mobile and fixed, every few miles, including ones that average out your speed and post you surprise penalty points and a fine.
I think you are moving away from the fundemental issue here, which is in the UK there are just too many YD25DDTi's throwing rods, if you had these engines in your countries, and read the first hand accounts of their demise from responsible owners and drivers, perhaps you would see the problem more sympathetically, and relate it to poor manufacturing and even worse materials, rather than just blaming poor driving styles.
I can fully understand your allegiance and passion for your Nissan's, however I doubt you would offer the same support to the factory, and start questioning the quality of the YD engine if it were originally available in numbers to you.
To make it clear, I have not had one throw a rod on me, I bought one in this condition, I just wanted to make sure this replacement engine was not going to do the same, we are developing serious problems over here with the reputation of Navaras, I know of personally, and have heard from others that they are rapidly becoming not worth a toss, some of the motor trade over here will not touch them.
Come on, how about a response from a responsible driver who has had one let go, to back me up, or I will eat humble pie and shut up!
Regards,
Chris Vince

1 - 13 of 13 Posts