Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all.

please help馃檹馃徎
Ive got an ongoing problem with my cooling system on my 2007 Nissan Nivara.
The temp gauge would raise to just below the red line & water is pulled from the rad & blows out the top of the expansion tank also the heating is intermittent.
After reading thread & thread on here & with help from my mechanic-
I鈥檝e replaced the head, replace the water pump, the radiator & the thermostat.
I鈥檝e vacuum filled the system, I鈥檝e had all pipes cleaned also the EGR has been blanked. Pressure is still building up in the expansion tank.

I feel I鈥檝e covered everything & I have no more ideas...any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Administrator
I can see why you must be frustrated.

Carry out a pressure test on the cooling system. Also worth doing a sniff test on the coolant to check no combustion gases present.

Administrator
Is it overheat on any particular kind of driving?
Ie when stationary for long times or on long hills ect....
Where did you get the radiator? I found out the hard way that some of the cheep radiators either don't have a baffle inside or the baffle not fitted correctly, so they allow the coolant to go straight across the top without going through the cooling fins

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses gents.
I鈥檝e done a pressure test when I had it vacuumed, it did drop slightly but I assumed this was because it was push the air out the over flow in the expansion tank.
Sniff test carried out.

the truck over heats on any drive...it will be fine for 10 minutes then up the needle goes.
The radiator was expensive, I got it from an independent supplier near me who I鈥檝e used many time before.
how can I tell if it has a baffle...block the top pipe?

Administrator
Some fairly obvious things, but easily overlooked.,.

Is the rad cap a blank? Sometimes people fit a pressure cap.
Is the expansion cap ok?
Any chance the thermostat is stuck?
Have you properly bled the system?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both caps are fine, I鈥檝e tried new ones too & no change in the situation.
the thermostat is also fine, I even removed it & still the same problem.
yes, the system has been bled properly, I鈥檝e actually lost count how many times I鈥檝e drained, refilled & bled the system.

Administrator
Ok.

Just checking.

Back to the bleeding... The procedure is running the engine at idle with the expansion cap off for 10 minutes.

In this 10 minutes I assume it overheats as you said above. Do you get bubbles in the expansion tank? Or does it just overflow?

In 10 minutes in this weather the only way I can think of it over heating is that the water isn't circulating at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate everything you鈥檙e saying, I really do.

So when I do the bleeding process there isn鈥檛 really any bubbles but the water level just rises slowly within a couple of minutes & just overflows without it overheating.

Administrator
No bubbles is good news. I think you have an air lock.

Is this the procedure you followed? Note that it works better with front higher, find a decent local hill!

Fill radiator and reservoir tank to the specified level.
l Pour engine coolant through engine coolant filler neck
slowly of less than 2 (1-3/4 lmp qt) a minute to allow air
in system to escape.
l Use Genuine Nissan Anti-freeze Coolant (L250) or equivalent
in its quality. Refer to MA-14, "RECOMMENDED FLUIDS
AND LUBRICANTS".
l When engine coolant overflows air relief hole, install air relief
plug.
4. Warm up engine to normal operating temperature without radiator cap and reservoir tank cap installed.
l If engine coolant overflows radiator filler hole and reservoir tank filler hole, install radiator cap
and reservoir tank cap.
5. Run engine at 3,000 rpm for 10 seconds and return to idle speed with radiator cap installed.
l Repeat two or three times.
CAUTION:
Watch engine coolant temperature gauge so as not to overheat the engine.
6. Stop engine and cool down to less than approximately 50掳C (122掳F).
l Cool down using a fan to reduce the time.
l If necessary, refill radiator up to filler neck with engine coolant.
7. Refill reservoir tank to MAX level line with engine coolant.
8. Repeat steps 3 through 6 two or more times with radiator cap installed until engine coolant level no longer
drops.
9. Check cooling system for leaks with engine running.
10. Warm up engine, and check for sound of engine coolant flow while running engine from idle up to 3,000
rpm with heater temperature controller set at several position between COOL and WARM.
l Sound may be noticeable at heater unit.
11. Repeat step 10 three times.
12. If sound is heard, bleed air from cooling system by repeating steps 3 through 6 until engine coolant level
no longer drops.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evening, sorry for the delayed response, I was only holiday.
Thank you so much for your help, I finally managed to try this yesterday & again today, I am still having no luck though馃槴 the water is still being pushed out of the expansion tank.
Any other thoughts?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, also there鈥檚 a bit of a whistling noise when I accelerate which was never present until this problem arose.

Administrator
There must be a blockage somewhere, that's all I can think of. I know a bit laborious, taking the hoses off and checking water flow with a hose will at the very least eliminate each component.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts