Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
today i seized engine in my d22. Is it worth to repair with parts from another second hand engine or buy new parts ?
Also which different engine fits with minor work? Like bmw3.0 in patrol - has anyone here done it with navara d22 ?
Thanks for any tips :)

·
Super Moderator
367 Posts
What caused it to seize? Might have a bearing on rebuild potential.

I'd never recommend an engine conversion. It's far more difficult than people realise. Are you wanting to retain the 4wd system? If so no conversion is simple as you'll need to make an adaptor plate to match the current bell housing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What caused it to seize? Might have a bearing on rebuild potential.

I'd never recommend an engine conversion. It's far more difficult than people realise. Are you wanting to retain the 4wd system? If so no conversion is simple as you'll need to make an adaptor plate to match the current bell housing.
100% need 4wd its offroad vehicle. Have absolute no idea what caused it to seize:( we didnt even had time to check if its really seized. Engine was running completely smooth no clicking etc. then i heard instant bang not that loud at like 50-60kmh. There was only one problem before this happend - on starting the cold engine i heard weird noise like starter spinning freely not engaged in the transmission- so is there a chance that starter might engaged and broke the whole transmission or something like that ?
We will definitely try to turn the engine after checking if the timing chains are ok

·
Super Moderator
367 Posts
I'm assuming that something else happened at the same time as the "bang"? Did it maybe lock the wheels and come to an abrupt stop? Is it a manual or an auto? Also presuming the engine stopped running at this point?

Please give the most complete description of what happened that you can manage. From your previous post all that you have said is wrong is that it made a fairly quiet noise. Going by that description the answer could be that you've run over a stick and can continue on driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming that something else happened at the same time as the "bang"? Did it maybe lock the wheels and come to an abrupt stop? Is it a manual or an auto? Also presuming the engine stopped running at this point?

Please give the most complete description of what happened that you can manage. From your previous post all that you have said is wrong is that it made a fairly quiet noise. Going by that description the answer could be that you've run over a stick and can continue on driving.
manual
it didint the wheels i was propably shifting at the moment and went to neutral real quick

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
There is a known issue with the YD25 in the D22 from about 2001 to 2005 where a main bearing fails due to stretched con ride bolt. Normally the con rod punches a hole in the block.

You need second hand engine as a rebuild is too expensive to consider if that is the case.

You are probably best to find another D22 2.5 engine. A Terrano 2.7 will fit with some work.

As you may know, the D22 also had the Patrol ZD30 fitted, so yes you can do the conversion to BMW but will need the gearbox from a ZD22 to match the adaptor plates that you can buy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a known issue with the YD25 in the D22 from about 2001 to 2005 where a main bearing fails due to stretched con ride bolt. Normally the con rod punches a hole in the block.

You need second hand engine as a rebuild is too expensive to consider if that is the case.

You are probably best to find another D22 2.5 engine. A Terrano 2.7 will fit with some work.

As you may know, the D22 also had the Patrol ZD30 fitted, so yes you can do the conversion to BMW but will need the gearbox from a ZD22 to match the adaptor plates that you can buy.
main bearings were replaced last year with brand new. I would spot hole in the block this is propably not the case :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts