Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
butterfly operation

i was a little incorrect before. the main actuator which has 2 part isn't a pull on/ pull off system. its a pull close partially (fatter diaphragm in the centre) and pull both to fully close (middle + end diaphragm).

the rear solenoid controls the partial closing and is part of the EGR system. it is closed a lot of the time to help draw EGR into the intake.
simply unplugging or fitting ball bearing in the line (fairy common trick) will disable it however the butterfly will not close on shutdown. you need both diaphragms to work together to close the butterfly on shutdown.

so what i did was to simply pull vacuum hoses off and rearrange them so both lines of the actuator connected to the middle solenoid (shut off solenoid). so basically paired the 2 vacuum lines together. you can use the T section from the vacuum side of the solenoids to join the vacuum lines. edit: it might be simplier to swap the two actuator lines. just make sure the actuator dosn't try to close when driving.

those who have blocked EGR would be best to disable the butterfly as above. this should reduce "throttling loses" and avoid any lowering of effective compression due to throttling of the air supply. (normally the EGR would keep the cylinders full keeping effective compression high).

the 2nd butterfly thats in the intake manifold seems to be normally open but closes when the motor is in gear and has low rpm. it it doesn't always close at idle. not sure if its to help air velocity at off boost or help increase EGR. i think its best left as is.

hopefully after all this the ECU doesn't learn that the EGR system isn't working and goes into limp home mode.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wished you had some pics on which and how you switched the hoses. I still believe you need to fool the sensors in order to keep the valve open when pressing the throttle or just remove the plate by removing the 2 screws.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll try for pics when it stops raining !

removing the plate is not a good idea as you will not get that nice smooth shutdown. just rearranging the hoses is much better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
after installing my intercooler, blocking the egr and chipping the navara i feel a big difference.
anyways, the butterfly seems to be different. I have just one vacum connected to the actuator. not 2 like you.
I have to find a different way to bypass

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics ! exspecially of the intercoler :)

really need pics or diagram of your setup in case its different. mayby your country has different emmision standards so they can get away with a different setup

·
Registered
20 Posts
inercooler pics :twisted:

now, back to subject.
this is the actuator.

this is the one in the back

and these are the solenoids.

the green one goes to the solenoid in the front and the red one to the back solenoids.
by trial and error found out the front actuator is only for shutdown proccess. don't know about the back one

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the pics :)

by the looks of it yours dosn't have an EGR butterfly. your country must allow lower emmision standards for them to to leave it out. its also good news for the rest of us that a factory vechile dosn't have it, blocking the EGR butterfly obviously can't harm the motor.

just block off the EGR pipe and your good to go.

hope it goes better with the intercooler.
any loss at part throttle low speed use?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I already blocked the egr :lol:
The intercooler didn't bog down the car. Maybe a different driving style.
I think what bogs down is the way the intake piping routes the air. Too much restriction on the intake.
Changing that helps.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
worked fine, the ecu didn't go into limp home mode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts